Those of you out there who know me well, know that I don't hestitate to share my opinion on things that really interest me. On occasion, I have been asked my personal opinion on serveral topics: For instance, Scott called to asked me what I thought about my Bosch and if I would choose it over a KitchenAid. My brother Ryan just called to ask me about his love life and how to make a yummy Sunday dinner for a bunch of girls. I've been asked by Paul (on a regular basis) "Do these match?" Or from friends, questions such as, "Do you think this scrapbook page is cute?", "What do you think I should wear to ...?", "How do you get your baby to sleep through the night?" , or "Do you have a good recipe for..."
All of these questions I feel comfortable answering. Not that I have the right answer by any means, but I feel that I can carry on a conversation and might even be able to add some information that could be valuable to that person in that subject area.
Apparently I've perfected the art of giving counsel. Yesterday, I had a neighbor lady call and ask me this question: "I was wondering what your opinion is of the candidates that are running for mayor and who you are going to vote for." I said, "Excuse me? Did you mean to call someone else?"
I was a bit taken back by her question, but, given my nature, I began to tell her my thoughts. The more interested she seemed, the more advice I gave. I waxed eloquent on the topic. She seemed interested and I hung up feeling pretty proud of myself for giving her something to think about before casting her vote.
Then, a few minutes later I received yet another phone call from this lady's friend. They had apparently talked and liked my political viewpoint so much, that they now felt that they couldn't cast their votes for city council members without my input. At this point I started laughing and said, "Is this some kind of joke? No one has ever asked me my opinion about politics." But she assured me it wasn't and that she really was interested on my thoughts. So, I began again to give her the information I had and who I thought would be the best man (or woman) for the job.
As the conversation went on, I realized that I kind of like giving advice, (maybe it's the older and wiser sister in me - Paul probably could have told me that). But these kind of questions historically seemed to be reserved for Paul (along with "What do you think they should do about Coach Crowton?" or "What do you think about the economy right now?" or "Is the real estate bubble going to burst?" or "Where should I invest some short term money?"). Well, not anymore ... Just "Ask Ang!"
I am now officially on the advice-giving soap box, regardless of the topic. I might even seek to get a column in the Wasatch Wave. Heck, since the calls yesterday, I've even become aware of the fact that there are two vacancies in the Supreme Court. I'm full of knowledge! Those ladies made my day.
(A little plug for Ang from Paul follows)
So, for all of you mental midgets out there, or those of you who just can't make a decision without affirmation or some outside direction ... go ahead and ask away... Marital or relationship problems that the family counselor can't solve? Financial problems that the financial planner and banker can't solve? Medical problems that the doctor can't solve? Trade deficit problems that Alan Greenspan can't solve? Doctrinal questions that Bruce R. McConkie didn't address? Your answers are only an e-mail away. . . Just Ask Ang!
Wednesday, October 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
So...do we still believe polygamy? How's it gonna work over there? I tried asking the First Presidency, but your route might just be more convenient.
Brady just read this whole bit, and wasn't really laughing. I mean, I know it's not THAT funny, but something was up. After a minute, he asked, "When did you try contacting the First Presidency." Hmmm...
Q1 - Angela, since you are so politically savvy now, can you please give us your opinions on John Roberts and Harriet Miers for the high court?
Q2 - Why is the word "Colonel" pronounced "kernal?"
Q3 - When are you having your next baby?
Okay, here goes. If we are trying to have a baby boy, what position would suggest we try? I'm assuming you definitely have this down (seeing as how you have 4 boys and all)!
Notice...
Because of this recent post, I am experiencing a high volume of questions. I regret to inform you that I can not answer all of them individually. Over the years I have found that the scriptures hold the answers to all questions, on every topic. Seeing that you obviously lack the "doctrinal base" to know where to look, I send you to these two scriptures in response to your questions...
3 Ne 26:11
11 Behold, I was about to write them ... but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people.
Alma 37:11
11 Now these mysteries are not yet fully made known unto me; therefore I shall forbear.
Dear Abby Ang,
Our questions are some asked by some african missionaries during their last medical lecture: (we need to give the accurate informaiton so we have come to the source of all truth.)
1) Does Doxycyclin supress the sex drive?
2) Does Doxycyclin cause men to have (we have tried to alter this question in case the chidren screen the questions, but finally decided that the only honest way is to use the exact words asked by the missonary) here goes - 'wet dreams?' Now be honest! WE gotta know!
3) Another question asked by a missonary: "My grandma said that a few worms are good for you - is that true?"
enough until we see how well you do on the above before we get into the 'good' stuff...
Post a Comment